If there is one myth that haunts teenagers around the world, it is the one which says masturbation leads to blindness.

Another one suggests that hair will grow on your palms if you jerk off. By the time you grow up, you know these are nothing but lies, but the damage is already done. If it was true, there will be too many blind people in the world.

 On the surface, it looks like a harmless myth. But it has given rise to a needless sense of guilt and a lot of serious mental health problems among impressible teenagers. Among men, there is a constant worry that the penis will fall off if they masturbate too many times and that it will become curved. Among women, masturbation gives rise to fears that they will lose their virginity if they engage in the habit. Some girls also believe it leads to infertility later in life.

Some athletes, especially men avoid masturbating before a sports performance because they believe, the act lessens their strength.

 The whole problem is caused because of the guilt and a sense of shame at our own weakness. Society leas us to believe that if we are strong enough, we can overcome the urge.

 Masturbation is common among men and women. According to one popular statistic, 90% of men and women say they masturbate and believe the other 10% are lying.

Just a casual look back at the lives of our own older brothers and sisters, we can be sure that the practice won’t cause blindness or hair to grow on our palms.

 So why does this myth persist?

It’s simple. Religion and society likes to have a certain amount of control over individuals and the most common way they assert that control is by regulating the sexual activity of an individual. Since they cannot monitor each teenager day and night, they have cultivated (maybe unconsciously) these guilt feelings related to the harmless way of releasing the sexual energy.

 The act is not limited only to teenagers. Grown men and women, including married people, masturbate. Because it is one of the most pleasurable things we can do to ourselves without depending on external factors or people.

There are many people who masturbate four times a day and their penis is still working. They don’t have hairy palms and their eyes are perfectly normal.

 So go ahead and enjoy your self-pleasure.

Categories: Masturbating

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *